Wednesday, February 04, 2009

More Dreams!

Last night, I had many dreams. I slept until noon, and probably part of the reason why I had so many was because I kept going back to sleep!

The first dream I remember was that my friend Farrah and her parents were going somewhere in NYC. I was still in school at FIT at this point, so I was in the city. They asked me to pick them up and give them a ride home after they finished doing whatever they were doing (possibly seeing a show or going to a meeting). However, I was tired and came home after school to wait for their call. When they called, I told them I wasn't in the city, I was on Long Island. Farrah's dad became very angry at me and yelled at me that I was supposed to be waiting for them so I could take them home. I told him that they should just take the Long Island Railroad home, but he seemed to get even more angry when I told him that.

The next dream I remember was that I was on a boat with Phil, a speedboat in a lake or the ocean (don't remember which). He was driving the boat and I was behind the boat, hanging on by a rope (kind of like skiing, but without the skis....somehow). In my hand, I held a bottle of alcohol and I kept taking swigs of it as Phil kept driving the boat. Whenever he would turn the boat, I'd swerve and go underwater a bit. I liked it because I felt drunk and each time I would go under the water a little more. At one point, I went under too far and for too long, and I couldn't breathe. While I was under the water, I realized I needed to let go of the alcohol and whatever I was holding so that I could pull myself back up and resurface. I did, and I was fine.

The next dream I had was that I was dog sitting Bo, and we had just bought a cute puppy that looked like a cuter, cleaner version of Bo, but still similar enough that it was hard to tell them apart. Anyway, we were paying all this attention to the new puppy, and then Bo came over and laid down on his back, paws up (this means he wanted a tummy rub). When he was laying on his tummy, I noticed a small white worm peek up from his belly, look around, and then poke back down into his belly. The next time the worm resurfaced, I plucked it off his belly and threw it on the floor. I then saw three worms on the floor all squirming away together.

Then I had a dream about standing around an outdoor, rounded pool in the rain. There were other people standing there, but everyone was going inside one by one. When they all left, I dove in the pool. As I sank down to the bottom, I thought I saw sticks..or snakes. There was junk in the pool like leaves and whatnot and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned.

Then I remember I was in another country. I don't think diving in the pool had anything to do with ending up in another country. Somehow, I was in another country, but the house I was in looked just like my mother's. I was in the dining room. I wanted to go out somewhere, but didn't know where to go. A Japanese girl came to the house and tried to give me her phone number so I could go meet her somewhere. She kept giving me different numbers, and when I tried to make sure they were correct, she would confuse me again and tell me different numbers. I don't remember any of the numbers (although they can be significant in dreams). She was going somewhere and I wanted to go too, but I knew I couldn't get there unless I had the numbers correct.

Then I woke up....

I have an immediate interpretation for one of them. The second dream with Phil in the boat and me in the water with the booze. Well, I was getting intoxicated (which I used to do all the time with friends before I met Phil) and Phil was driving the boat (which can mean ministry or vocation). Basically, Phil is leading us into ministry and it is a speedboat- which means accelerated growth- the ministry is growing rapidly (probably this is referring to the youth group, as Phil is the youth leader and the group recently has been growing a lot!) Meanwhile, as Phil is leading us in the ministry, I am getting drunk behind the boat, and not really paying attention to where we are or where the boat is going. All I care about is having fun, which is partially true of my personality at this point. However, it becomes dangerous for me when I am in too deep and with no hands to hold on. I have to pull myself back up to the boat and in the process, have to get rid of the alcohol (which I think also symbolizes behaviors I used to have in my old life).

The rest I am not sure of their meanings. There could be many possible interpretations, or maybe they are not meaningful at all. Either way, they were cool while they lasted.

2 comments:

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

keep in mind that some dreams mean nothing. It says in the Bible to not worry about dreams and such and that even satan can temper with such things. I have it written down somewhere for reference because I have had many dreams that have told me things that have occured, but then I have tons of dreams that probably mean nothing and dreams that occur because of things that are simply on my mind

Sahara said...

Yes, there is what is called a "soulish" dream that means nothing. However, people can have dreams from God that have great meaning. If you don't value your dreams and seek meaning, you might never know which ones are from God and have meaning. In the Bible there are many examples of people having dreams from God- King Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel interpreted his dreams), Joseph (angel told him to take Mary as his wife in a dream), Gideon (a man's dream that he heard the interpretation for helped him defeat the Midianites), Abimelech (who was reprimanded by God in a dream), Jacob, Pharoah, and many, many more. If you search the Bible there are TONS of instances where God speaks to His people in dreams and visions, but sometimes they don't understand it and need an interpretation. That is why it says in Proverbs 25:2:

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

Basically, it means the same as when Jesus explained to his disciples why he spoke in parables. Some people will hear but won't understand. If people don't search for meaning in their dreams, how would they know whether or not God is saying something to them? Back in Biblical times, people placed a lot of value on dreams. Culturally, there is still some of that value for dreams left but not much. I think it is important to place value in your dreams as long as you are only giving it the proper amount of value and not too much.

Check out Job 33:14-18:

14 For God does speak—now one way, now another— though man may not perceive it.

15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls on men as they slumber in their beds,

16 he may speak in their ears and terrify them with warnings,

17 to turn man from wrongdoing and keep him from pride,

18 to preserve his soul from the pit, his life from perishing by the sword.

God also says he speaks to prophets in dreams in Numbers 12:6:

5 Then the LORD came down in a pillar of cloud; he stood at the entrance to the Tent and summoned Aaron and Miriam. When both of them stepped forward, 6 he said, "Listen to my words:
"When a prophet of the LORD is among you,
I reveal myself to him in visions,
I speak to him in dreams.


Anyway- all this to say that I know there are dreams that have no meaning, but there are also dreams that DO have meaning.

I am curious as to where it says in the Bible not to worry about dreams at all. I know that in Jeremiah it strongly warns against listening to diviners and false prophets:

Jeremiah 23:32
Indeed, I am against those who prophesy false dreams," declares the LORD. "They tell them and lead my people astray with their reckless lies, yet I did not send or appoint them. They do not benefit these people in the least," declares the LORD.

However, what verse is it that you are referring to?